When it comes to the clothes you wear, you've got your basic essentials—a great pair of jeans, a dark suit that works for both business and pleasure, along with some T-shirts and a few tailored button-downs. And you probably have a few more trendy, of-the-moment pieces that you likely won't be wearing a year from now. But you should also consider building out your permanent collection with some smart and durable pieces. The kind that will always be in style and look good on guys at any age. Consider this a checklist—you don't need to buy these exact items, but you should look for the best quality you can afford. After all, these are the pieces that you'll be wearing for years to come.
- Silk knit tie, by Charvet
- White dress shirt, by Club Monaco
- Unstructured navy sport coat, by Paul Smith
- Dark Brown wing tips, by Jack Erwin
- A slim brown belt, by Billykirk
FYI: If you only own one tie, make it a silk knit tie in a dark color like navy or black.
- Henley, by Todd Snyder
- Sweatshirt, by Sunspel
- Khaki chinos, by Gant Rugger
- Denim jacket, by A.P.C.
- Simple sneakers, by Adidas
FYI: The henley is an all-season layer that's one step above a T-shirt and can even be dressed up with a sport coat.
- Top coat, by Suitsupply
- Printed pocket square, by Drake's
- Cashmere sweater, by J.Crew
- Western shirt, by The
- Light bomber jacket, by Ami
FYI: Somewhere between a sport shirt and a jacket, a western shirt is an off-duty staple that's more versatile than you might think.